Thursday, October 09, 2014

Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints: "A Light in the Window"

I have a started a new project in conjunction with my "The Humble Stumble: Lessons on Simplicity, Stillness, Fashion and Faith from a Bad Quaker" book. It's on Spotify -- "Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints."

I'll add a "hymn" a day.

These are not "hymns" in the traditional sense. Rather they're songs that have spoken to my soul in a spiritual sense -- even if they are not "spiritual songs" per se. Though my bias is that that our hearts hunger for beauty and meaning and when artists create something that sings deep in our souls, well, they've created a "hymn," even if it was unintentional.

Suggestions of songs that have spoken deeply to you are welcome!

I'll also post lyrics and video here.

Up today is  Carrie Newcomer – A Light in the Window

A Light in the Window 
There is always a light shining in the darkness. 

Looking out at the night 
Beyond the driver’s wheel,
Curving hips made of snow 
In the winter fields.
There’s a house set way back 
Where a lamplight glows,
Like star out in the cold,
Filled with people I'll never know,
Who left a light, 
Left a light in the window.

What would I change if 
The choice were mine? 
I was doing the best 
I knew at the time.
And every door that opened 
And door that closed,
All the things that made me grow,
Sent me off down another road,
Off to search for a light, 
For a light in the window
.
Now what's old has already passed away 
But the new is too new 
to be born today.
So I'm throwing out seeds 
On the winter snow,
As a sharp wind begins to blow,
Standing here on a new threshold,
I can see a light, 
There's a light in the window..

The world is made of stone,
And the world is made of glass.
The world is made of light,
And its moving very fast.

We pass from mystery to mystery 
So I won't lie 
I don't what happens 
When people die.
But I hope I see you walking slow,
Smiling wide as sunrise grows,
I drop my map with a 
thousand folds,
In the distance I see it 
glow,
I can see a light, 
There’s a light in the 
window.

Words and Music By Carrie Newcomer



Carrie Newcomer's website is at http://www.carrienewcomer.com/

No comments: