Saturday, October 11, 2014

Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints: "Holy Wars and Politicians"

Jan Krist
I have a started a new project in conjunction with my "The Humble Stumble: Lessons on Simplicity, Stillness, Fashion and Faith from a Bad Quaker" book. It's on Spotify -- "Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints."

I'll add a "hymn" a day.

These are not "hymns" in the traditional sense. Rather they're songs that have spoken to my soul in a spiritual sense -- even if they are not "spiritual songs" per se. Though my bias is that that our hearts hunger for beauty and meaning and when artists create something that sings deep in our souls, well, they've created a "hymn," even if it was unintentional.

Suggestions of songs that have spoken deeply to you are welcome!

I'll also post lyrics and video (when available) here.

Up today is  Jan Krist – Holy Wars And Politicians

"Holy Wars And Politicians"

We try to sort through the unthinkable
not get caught up in the undertow
if and when to compromise 
We say we know what the truth is here 
We say we know the other guy 
only uses the word truth to dress a pack of lies. 

 Chorus 
And God’s name gets dragged into the rhetoric 
and claims get made on heaven’s will 
and a thousand sacrificial lambs get killed 
O God may your will be truly done 
on earth as in heaven 
and save us all from Holy wars and politicians. 

Can you hear my heart is beating 
like a screen door in the wind 
There’s a fear that this whole thing 
might somehow come unhinged 
Tsunami to the left of us 
falling sky off to the right 
they say “you gotta put the fear of God in ‘em 
to set the balance right” 

So can you tell me where the truth resides 
with so much spin and so many lies 
And which argument would Jesus buy 
if Jesus wore my shoes? 
I pray for peace, I pray for mercy 
I pray forgiveness for us all 
for it’s the innocent among us 
who are set to take the fall.

Jan Krist's website is located at http://www.jankrist.net/

No comments: