Monday, April 09, 2012

Quaker Worship -- When to Speak


In the Life

My piece was pat and all ready to say,
She rose first. I threw my piece away.
My well-turned stuff
Was not so rough
As hers, but easy elegant and smooth.
Beginning middle end
It had and point
And aptly quoted prophet priest and poet.
Hers was uncouth
Wanting in art
Laboured scarce-audible and out of joint.
Three times she lost the thread
And sitting left her message half unsaid.
'Why then did thee throw it
Into the discard?'
Friend,
It had head
(Like this). Hers oh had heart.

Robert Hewison, 1965

from "Quaker Faith & Practice: The book of Christian discipline of the Yearly Meeting of the
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain:

Learn more about Quakers at Quaker Quest @ West Newton Friends Meeting. This Wednesday's program is "Quakers and Worship"

1 comment:

Catharine Phillips said...

Thanks, Brent. I like this. A lot.