Monday, June 04, 2007

More Good Books...

Ah, summertime and the reading is easy. Well, at least it seems like I have a bit more time to indulge my literary habit. I've found two recent reads worth sharing -- for completely different reasons.

The first is Philosophy Made Simple by Robert Hellenga. You've got to love any novel that mixes an Illini-Texan avocado grower with an Indian Ubermensch philosopher type afraid of commiting a social faux pas with an elephant named, sort of, after a movie star with Schopenhauer and the Upanishads with ... Well, you get the idea. It's both deep and light -- as in de-"light"-ful. While I didn't find it laugh out loud funny or tear-jerkingly sad, it truly earned the various emotions it generated. I loved it.

Now (as the Monty Pythoner's say) for something completely different -- Ancient Christian Devotional: A Year of Weekly Readings edited by Cindy Crosby and Thomas Oden. Its a devotional guide that combines excerpts from the writings of the church fathers for either daily or weekly reading and prayer. It follows cycle A of the Revised Common Lectionary or you can read them by thematic interest. Though as a Quaker-type, cycle for me usually is found on the Westinghouse and has the words wash, spin, or rinse associated with, I do treasure books that help my daily devotional life (way too weak, sad to say). Ancient Christian Devotional is now on my desk, right next to the Book of Common Prayer and Shorter Christian Prayer. You'll want to pick it up.

Happy Reading!

-- Brent

No comments: