Monday, October 12, 2020

Election 2020 Musings From the Midwest

First, let me say that for the past four years I have been completely disturbed and horrified by many of the words and actions of President Donald J. Trump. And that's the last time you'll see his name in this blog post.

However, as voting is going on now and through November 3rd, I cannot be silent about policies, words, and actions I find contrary to my understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am committed to working against these things which I feel are harming the country I live in and am grateful to live in. 

No politician is perfect. All have their faults. That's been true in the past and is true now. Yet many, I believe, acted in what they thought were the best interests of our country as a whole. I do not feel that way about many of the current occupants of public office. 

Here is what I looked for in the candidates for which I voted in 2020 (yes, my ballot has been cast). I looked for people that, imperfect as they are, came close to supporting ideas that congruent with my understanding of Christian faith. People that are for:

  • a country and government that respects all people regardless of ethnicity, gender-identification, sexual orientation, religion (or choosing to have no religion), and so forth.
  • an administration and government that exists to serve all under their care and which recognize that diversity of color, lifestyle, opinion, religion, and more enrich our country.
  • a nation that guarantees and equally protects the rights of all its residents -- again regardless of ethnicity, gender-identification, sexual orientation, religion (or choosing to have no religion), and so forth.
  • a country that emphasizes peace in its actions and spending.
  • a nation that works to ensure that all its residents have the best healthcare, education, housing, worthy work, and food possible. I don't just mean "access to" -- I mean, have these things -- regardless of ethnicity, gender-identification, sexual orientation, religion (or choosing to have no religion), and so forth.
  • a government that encourages civil discourse and acts and speaks with care and respect.
  • civil discourse among peoples of differing views so we can learn from each other.
  • a country that is known for its mercy and justice toward all peoples everywhere.

I am for these things as a person of faith.

I need to speak about what I'm for, rather than what I'm against, for my own spirit's sake. Being for instead of against helps me to be humble and exhibit (as best I am able) love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

These times are fraught with peril. They are also times that are filled with possibility. May you vote prayerfully and carefully.

God bless us. Every one. 

1 comment:

RDT said...

Well said. Thank you.