Monday, January 23, 2012

An Open Letter to Sen. Rick Santorum Regarding a Missed Opportunity

Dear Sen. Santorum:

I feel compelled, as a fellow Christian, to say how disappointed I was to hear your comment that it is not your job to correct blatantly false accusations about President Obama's faith and citizenship. To ignore the opportunity to address a statement from a person at one of your rallies who said, "I never refer to Obama as President Obama because legally he is not, He constantly says that our constitution is passé, and he ignores it as you know and does what he darn well pleases. He is an avowed Muslim and my question is, why isn't something being done to get him out of government? He has no legal right to be calling himself president" by replying "Well look, I'm doing my best to get him out of the government right now" is unconscionable and unChristian.

You, as the candidate who claims to take the high moral ground on important issues, missed a teachable opportunity to show how our democracy is about how we differ on issues but do not abide lies nor allow them to be spread on our watch. How could you allow such a lie to stand and not use your very public moral presence to refute the Muslim accusation?

I admit I was disinclined to vote for you before this incident. But I did believe, that no matter how or why I disagreed with you on your issues, that you were sincere in your beliefs and cared deeply about moral issues. I no longer believe that. Integrity and the willingness to defend another (even a person you disagree with) who is falsely accused seem to me go hand in hand. I guess I believe the commandment that says that we are not to bear false witness. I was saddened to see you disregard that commandment today.

Sincerely,
J. Brent Bill
Ploughshares Farm
6960 E. Hendricks County Rd
Mooresville, IN 46158
www.brentbill.com


No comments: