- How was your day? Well, we've covered that one.
- Talk to anybody interesting? Interesting to me or interesting to you?
- What did you have for lunch? Probably the same thing you are planning on having for dinner.
- How was the traffic? Let's see. Hmmm. Everybody is coming downtown or leaving downtown at the same time I am on a road that is under construction and down to two lanes and seems to have been ever since I started making this trip in 9 years ago. How do you think it was?
- Did you do anything fun? Let me ask my boss. I'm sure my having fun at work was way up on his agenda.
- What did you do today? I spent a lot of time looking busy whenever somebody walked by my office door, which really cut into my time surfing the Internet looking for the latest Lindsay Lohan news.
- You look tired. I am, but I hope to catch up on sleep at the office.
- (at the grocery store) Would you like a sack for that? No, not really. I don't want the carton either, but it sure makes the milk easier to carry.
- Can I borrow your (insert tool, farm implement, vehicle here)? The bigger question is can you bring it back in the same shape it was in when you borrowed it? Including full of gas and clean inside like it is now? And the answer is obviously "No" since you never have before.
- Most any statement and or question you can come up with.
As with teenagers, it seems that there isn't much you can safely say. Hey, that works for me.