Sunday, July 08, 2018

Why I Joined William Barber & the Poor People's Campaign

On Thursday I posted that I had just heard William Barber of the Poor People's Campaign (@UniteThePoor) and Moral Mondays issue a call for a moral revival of America. 



You can also watch it at https://youtu.be/Xqaln5eYfSo
I was so moved I joined the Poor People's Campaign and am supporting it financially, as well. William Barber talked about how the power structure of much of American politics is "mean" -- and hurting the poorest among us. He back his premise up with with facts and figures -- including the economic cost to our country of NOT helping "the least of these."
As he said, this is not a Republican issue or Democrat issue-- though my friends who are Republicans will probably not like some of strong words he has about the present administration and congressional leaders. And some of what he said could have been applied, in my opinion, about the Obama, Bush, and Clinton administrations. This is a moral issue for people of faith to consider.
I especially liked that he said that this must be a united movement -- not just about lifting the poor, but also working for women's rights, defeating racism, saving the environment, ensuring LBGQT rights and safety, working for peace, et al as these are all interrelated and each impacts the others. A house divided against itself cannot stand, as Lincoln said, and too much of America is divided. Those of us who are are concerned about the above must unite. We must work together -- and not overly criticize the methods and approaches we choose to undertake this task. I have friends who are very activist and "in-your-face" as they speak truth to power. I applaud and support them. That, though is not my call. I will work with the Poor People's Campaign and other efforts in gentler way. I want to speak truth to power -- but I want to do it love -- in a way that doesn't hurt my soul while still hopefully speaking to that of God in those of power.
Again, I agree with William Barber that this is not a Republican issue, a Democrat issue, a women's issue, an environmentalist issue, a men's issue, etc. It is an American issue -- calling us to remember the best vision of those who came before us for our country. I know we are a pluralistic society -- not exclusively Christian (not that we ever were!) -- but I do think the best vision of what the United States could be is In Matthew 5:14, when Jesus tells his listeners, "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."
May we all work to be that light -- by following the Light and looking for that of God in others and ourselves. May God bless our efforts.

2 comments:

Daniel Wilcox said...

Thanks for bringing this up on your blog.

For some reason, I've not heard anything about this Poor People's Campaign, but then with the debacle of Christianity and politics of the past many months,
I've been taking a break from the news mostly.

victoriafacio733 said...


In the world of hacking oneofone is the best when it comes to client satisfaction. Oneofonehack is an experienced online Private Investigator/Ethical Hacker providing investigative solutions and related services to individuals. You might be curious that what services can an individual hacker  provide? .. If you hire a hacker, you will need to be taken along with the progress of the hack till it is completed and that is what he provide at oneofone. He render: +University Grades Hack, +Bank Account Hacks, +Control devices remotely hack, +Facebook Hacking Tricks, +Gmail, AOL, Yahoomail, inbox, mobile phone (call and text message Hacking are available) +Database Hacking, +PC Computer Tricks +Bank transfer, Western Union, Money Gram, Credit Card transfer +Wiping of Credit, +VPN Software, +ATM Hack Contact at:
Email: oneofonehack at g mail dot com
Text num:+1 518 628 4630
What's app num:+1 518 740 0715