Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints: "I'm Not Alone"

I have a started a project in conjunction with my "The Humble Stumble: Lessons on Simplicity, Stillness, Fashion and Faith from a Bad Quaker" book. It's on Spotify -- "Humble Stumble: Hymns for Imperfect Saints."

I'll add a "hymn" a day.

These are not "hymns" in the traditional sense. Rather they're songs that have spoken to my soul in a spiritual sense -- even if they are not "spiritual songs" per se. Though my bias is that that our hearts hunger for beauty and meaning and when artists create something that sings deep in our souls, well, they've created a "hymn," even if it was unintentional.

Suggestions of songs that have spoken deeply to you are welcome!

I'll also post lyrics and video (when available) here.

Today's hymn is  Michael Franti – I Know I'm Not Alone

Thanks to my friend David Austin (@DaveAustin58 ) for this suggestion.

"I Know I'm Not Alone"

Whatever happened to the sun
It seems to always come
Back when we were young
We'd sing and party all night long
The season don't ever come on time no more
War paints over the years
And anger fills our tears
What happened to the sun

But I know, I know, I know I'm not alone
But I know, I know, I know I'm not alone

Everytime I read the news
I'm always more confused
Tellin' me to choose
But there's only lies to choose from
And how many died today
How many lost their homes or shot a gun
Or a loved one
What happen to our sons

But I know, I know, I know I'm not alone
And I know, I know, I know I'm not alone

I know I'm far away from home but I know I'm not alone
I know I'm far away from home but I know I'm not alone


Michael Franti & Spearhead's website is at https://www.michaelfranti.com/home

No comments: