Sunday, November 15, 2009

See the Goodness of the Lord -- Day 25

I came home to a new vista last night. After a day trip to Columbus, Ohio to see my mom and dad, as I pulled into the driveway something seemed very different. Then it hit me -- there was no wall of corn blocking my headlight beams. Instead, they swept across the field and all the way back into the woods. The corn had been harvested while we were gone that day.

Of course, the newly wide opened space was much more obvious this morning when we headed to Meeting. After months of driving up and down a long lane lined hedged in by tall grass prairie on one side and even taller corn on the other, the spaciousness made by lack of corn was amazing. I could see the distant woods clearly, the gentle risings and falling of the field, and whether any cars were coming down the road when it was time to pull out!

As more and more fields around me are picked, I can see more and more. Which I like (except I know that the picked corn means that winter is on its way and the western wind now has a clear shot at our house across the field). And as I drove to Meeting I thought about the things in my life that grow up and obstruct my view. I mean, it's good that the corn grew up -- especially for the farmer who planted it and the people who will benefit from it's having grown. And I think there are many good things in my life. That they are good is not the issue. The issue is that I let them stand too long, sometimes, and they obstruct my view -- they limit my vision.

And I don't really need any help with that. I can do that pretty well, all on my own -- feeling that that my bounded little world is indeed ALL of God's world and missing out on what God has in store for me to see.

So, as I fired up the tractor and went out to do battle with the evil bush honeysuckle today, I began to think about harvest. What good things in my life may need harvesting, cut down, or at least trimmed a bit so that the view I need is available to me.

Farm work -- it's never done!

-- Brent

1 comment:

Brenda's Arizona said...

Wow, excellent post! You have given me much to think about. Thank you.