Monday, July 09, 2007

Let Him Who Has Ears, Hear...

I had an absolutely stunning piece to post today. The insight it offered was profound, the thinking behind it crystalline, and it had a great piece of irony working, too. It came to me in the silence of open worship yesterday morning. It was so close to being perfect that I almost shared it in Meeting for Worship. But I wasn't quite sure it was a message for that place and time, so I stayed in my pew. And resolved to post it online today. You, loyal readers, would have experienced a life-changing event.

Except I can't remember what it was I was going to write. Not a shred of it. It's gone -- poof, like thistle down on a humid July wind. It was here, now it's who knows where. I've spent a good deal of time trying to reconstruct it, to no avail.

Which I'm taking as a good thing. At least I listened to the Spirit closely enough not to stand up and narrowcast the message to the assembled Friends yesterday. Now if I'd only been listening carefully enough to think, Well, that's a good idea, but should I post it on the blog? God, in God's wisdom, wiped my mental slate clean -- and so you've been spared my brilliance.

Learning to listen has been a lifelong lesson for me. I hope it's easier for you.
--Brent

2 comments:

Martin Kelley said...

So close to the ultimate revealed Truth! Maybe it was a message just meant to prepare you in some way, to reorient a few synapses and get you ready to share parts of it in other forums. I've had a similar experience a few times and wrote down what it was that sounded so profound, only to realize it was an obvious truth that I was experiencing with renewed eyes. It can be a precious gift even if it leaves you unable to communicate it with others.

Brent Bill said...

How true, Martin. It did feed me at the time. But still, sometimes, I think of the verse in 2 Peter -- "a dumb ass spoke with human voice." Though that piece of scripture refers to Balaam's donkey who was spiritually sighted enough to behold God's angel while Balaam was not, I fear I fit more the vernacular understanding of that verse which set us atwittering as high-schoolers. Hence the accompanying photo...